LUSAKA - Government has confirmed the arrest of 11 suspected militia members and other persons of interest following a joint operation by the Zambia Police Service and other law enforcement agencies in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area on the night of August 13, 2026.
According to a statement issued by Secretary to the Cabinet Patrick Kangwa, the operation followed a tip-off from members of the public. He said the individuals had been under surveillance for several years and, more recently, over the past few months.
Mr. Kangwa said some of those apprehended were allegedly linked to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, which authorities considered a serious threat to national security.
He said law enforcement officers recovered high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials allegedly intended for use in an armed insurrection.
According to Mr. Kangwa, the operation resulted in the seizure of restricted military weapons and the apprehension of suspected militia members and other people found at the premises. He said some individuals managed to flee and their whereabouts remain unknown.
Mr. Kangwa further stated that occupants of the premises fired shots at law enforcement officers during the operation, resulting in an exchange of fire.
Among the 11 people apprehended and facing various criminal charges are George Chisanga, Dr. Bishop Trevor Mwamba, Simon Phiri, Richard Banda, Francis Mulenga and Patrick Mwansa. Mr. Kangwa said they are being held in lawful custody at various police stations in Lusaka.
He said other people found at the scene included senior members of certain political parties, adding that NRPUP presidential candidate Brian Mundubile was also found at the premises.
Mr. Kangwa said the suspects have been charged and that their families and lawyers will be granted access to them.
He said investigations into the matter are ongoing and that Government will continue to provide updates as the case develops.
Source: Phoenix News