Mutotwe Kafwaya Confirmed Dead After Kabulonga Security Operation


 LUSAKA - The Zambia Police Service has confirmed the death of Mr. Mutotwe Kafwaya following an intelligence-led joint security operation conducted in Kabulonga on August 14, 2026.

Inspector General of Police Graphel C. Musamba, speaking on behalf of the Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC) and Service Chiefs, said the operation was conducted around 19:30 hours by a Joint Task Force team that included officers from the Drug Enforcement Commission.

Mr. Musamba said the operation followed intelligence gathered after the recovery of K7.3 million during a previous task force operation in Lusaka. He added that security wings had been monitoring activities involving individuals considered to be of national interest and suspected of posing a threat to national security since November 2023.

According to the Inspector General, the task force was met with gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals upon arrival at the premises. The officers returned fire, during which an unidentified male was fatally wounded.

A firearm was recovered from the scene and the injured man was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Mr. Musamba said efforts to establish the identity of the deceased began after reports circulated on social media concerning a missing person. Family members were subsequently contacted and positively identified the body as that of Mr. Mutotwe Kafwaya.

Arrests Made

Police said 11 people were apprehended at the premises, including three former commandos with specialised special forces skills and two retired police officers, one of whom previously served with the Flying Squad, also known as C5.

The suspects are being held in connection with alleged offences relating to treason and any other offences that may be established during investigations.

Those arrested have been identified as Brazil Soko, 56; Jackson Mutyoka, 41; Bernard Chewe, 41; Simon Phiri, 43; Richard Banda, 49; George Kangwa Chisanga, 59; Trevor Mwamba, 68; Francis Mulenga, 26; Emmanuel Mulenga, 56; Patrick Mwansa, 39; and Darius Mwila, 57.

Items Recovered

The Joint Task Force recovered several items during a search of the premises, including high-grade military-version automatic UZI weapons, five AK-47 rifles with 60 rounds of ammunition, one Zastava pistol, four Beretta magazines, a bulletproof vest, a commando dagger and gun maintenance equipment.

Tactical equipment recovered included military-version binoculars with night-vision capability, tactical gloves, taser-type devices, Baofeng walkie-talkies, a digital video recorder and a video splitter.

Several electronic and ICT devices were also secured for forensic examination.

The Joint Task Force said all recovered materials are undergoing detailed investigations to establish their ownership, source, intended use and possible connection to the alleged offences.

Police Assure Public of Impartial Investigations

The Central Joint Operations Committee has assured the public that the operation was conducted in the interest of national security and was not intended to target individuals based on their political affiliation, occupation or status.

The CJOC said all suspects will be accorded their constitutional rights and that investigations will be conducted professionally and impartially.

Members of the public have been urged to remain calm and avoid speculation or circulating unverified information as investigations continue.

Source: Central Joint Operations Committee 

Previous Post Next Post