MONGU - National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP) presidential candidate Brian Mundubile has condemned what he describes as police brutality and the disruption of his party's campaign rallies in Western Province, calling on regional and international bodies to help safeguard Zambia's democratic process ahead of the August 13 General Election.
In a statement issued by the NRPUP Media Command Centre, Mr. Mundubile alleged that police officers fired teargas into a campaign rally in Mongu on Wednesday as he prepared to address supporters, forcing attendees to flee the gathering.
He also claimed that police earlier dispersed another campaign event in Kalabo, where he said he was compelled to address supporters from the roof of his vehicle after teargas was deployed.
Mr. Mundubile alleged that the police action was politically motivated and accused state institutions of attempting to suppress opposition campaigns.
He further questioned President Hakainde Hichilema's commitment to peaceful elections, arguing that recent incidents of violence and the disruption of opposition rallies contradict assurances that violence and intimidation would not be tolerated.
The NRPUP leader said his party would continue campaigning despite the incidents, maintaining that all political parties have a constitutional right to campaign freely across the country.
Mr. Mundubile also appealed to the Southern African Development Community (SADC), the African Union (AU), the international diplomatic community and election observers to closely monitor developments in Western Province and other areas ahead of polling day.
He further called on the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) and the Zambia Police Service to uphold their constitutional mandates by ensuring a peaceful, free and fair electoral environment for all political parties.
Earlier in the day, Mr. Mundubile paid a courtesy call on the Litunga at Limulunga Palace, where he pledged to promote peace and development if elected.
By the time the statement was issued, police in Western Province had not publicly responded to the allegations or explained the circumstances surrounding the dispersal of the rallies.
Source: NRPUP Media Command Centre